It’s been years since fashion week was only about the clothes: a celebration of the artistry of fashion and the people who make it happen. In the past decade, New York’s Fashion Week has become a hotbed for culture, design, art, and music, not unlike what South by Southwest has become in Austin. It is a tent-pole of the New York cultural scene and heralds the arrival of Autumn every bit as much as the falling of leaves and the ordering of a Pumpkin Spice Latte. Throughout the Week, collaborations spring up between designers, artists, and musicians, and by the end of it all, any observer goes home armed with a fresh playlist and a color palette off of which to build their cold-weather wardrobe. It’s all very symbiotic. For those who enjoy the mashup of fashion and music, we’ve compiled a list of the events that are not to be missed this week.
2. Fashion’s Night Out – Cyndi Lauper performs at Manolo Blahnik. 31 West 54th Street
3. Fashion’s Night Out – Chairlift performs at Prada. 575 Broadway
4. Fashion’s Night Out – Tesla Boy performs at Salvatore Ferragamo. 655 Fifth Avenue
7. Saturday, September 8 – Brothers NYC at Irving Plaza. 17 Irving Place
8. Sunday, September 9 – The Real Wavy Art Show at Free Candy in Brooklyn. 905 Atlantic Avenue
9. Wednesday, September 12 – Yeasayer/Tanlines at Rumsey Playfield, Central Park
10. Wednesday, September 12 – Dragonette at Webster Hall. 125 E. 11th Street