DJ Jamal Dixon sits down with the Arcade to talk inspiration and what’s next for music. Oh and he creates a dope mix exclusively for the network too. Get into it!
How do you describe your sound?
Moody, deep, dark, sexy
Where is “home” for you? How does it influence your work?
Home would be New York & Newark & it was during the 80’s & 90’s. House music & hip hop & disco was huge part of the music scene.
As a global DJ, you travel all over the world. What is your favorite city for music at the moment and why?
I would have to say London because I enjoy bands like Burial & XX.
Is there a party that stands out in your mind as really defining 2013 for you? Who, where, how?
Tiki Disco. Bklyn. Andy Pry, Eli Eacobar & llyoski & I’ve seen the party grow from 100 to 1000+
Who are up-and-comers in music (musicians, DJs, promoters, or producers) that you are looking out for? Who do you think we’ll be talking about by New Year’s 2014?
Tiki Disco world tour, Twin Shadow 3rd album, Saheer Umar’s debut album, DJ Obah’s debut album, The Hot Sardines debut album, Jennifer Louise Lyon’s BEMF.
What’s up next for you?
Attending Ableton Live classes at Dub Spot.
1. Conrad Schnitzler – Auf Dem Schwarzen Kanal
2. Bear In Heaven – Lovesick Teenagers
3. A Studio – Life’s A Beach
4. Gorillaz – Kids With Guns(Quiet Village Remix)
5. Eurythmic – Aqua
6. Vince Dicola – Unicorn Medley
7. Mario Basanov & Vidis ft. Kathy Diamond – In My System (Soft Rocks K-Hole Dub)
8. Daroc ft. DW – Hypnotic France
9. Phantogram – When I’m Small (RAC Mix)
10. Bliss – Stop Me (The Revenge Vocal Mix)
11. Mike Simonetti – The Storm ft. Sam Sparro
12. Fleetwood Mac – Caroline
13. Ace of Base – Happy Nation (Remix)
14. Peter Gabriel – Walk Through The Fire
15. Chromatics – Lady